Wednesday 16 October 2013

Pumpkin Cheesecake, Pecan Pie and the downfall of courageous men and women all over Canada

It happened, Thanksgiving that is. 

As I was preparing to eat a piece of pie this weekend someone asked me, "are you going to blog about that?" - C'mon guys, just ONE piece!?!?! lol

Yes pie and cheesecake and turkey and stuffing and ham and potatoes and SO many things that make your mouth water. ALL ON ONE WEEKEND!!!

To many this sounds like a great victory - "LET THEM EAT CAKE!" they yell as they dance into the dining room filling their plates with goodies and treats...."NO CONSEQUENCES!!" more shout as they fill their plates with Turkey and gravy. 

And yet to others this sounds like the beginning of a downward spiral. Perhaps even defeat. 

Of course suggesting this also suggests that there are no folks in the middle of this spectrum who either care mildly or don't care at all about any of the above, it doesn't affect their life more than planning to be away from home for an afternoon or evening. We live in spectrum - I understand this. 

I live closer to the defeat end of the spectrum. My Thanksgivings, Christmas' and Easters usually begin and end with unhealthy self-talk and a struggle to break the pattern. I can eat salad for months and be perfectly happy, but set me down in front of a dinner buffet and I'm finished. 

Set aside the feeling of being "overfull" or "miserable" after you eat all that food...
I dare you to try and set aside the feeling of reward or satisfaction after taking that 1st, 3rd or 5th bite of pie? 
I can forget how gross I felt after I binge on stuffing and gravy (with complete social acceptance btw) but I can't forget how tasty that buttery stuffing was as it passed over my tongue. 

So the battle becomes - how do I stop living "Thanksgiving" when Black Friday has come and gone? 

I don't have an answer.

If I did I'd be a size 2-4 and laughing at the pumpkin cheesecake still sitting in my refrigerator when I get home, maybe even tossing him in the garbage...Instead he will likely talk me into taking a bite...and then he may suggest strongly that I skip the gym....and if he's really smooth maybe he'll remind me of the stuffing that is still nestled deep within the shelf just behind the leftover turnip...Oh cheesecake....I'll win one of these days....maybe even today... 

No comments: