Friday 7 November 2008

10. I am not on my game

So, remember back in school when you were constantly thinking, re-thinking and evaluating your views? You were learning and reading and understanding things that were new, and being pushed towards a better self?

School's out apparently, and so is my ability to dig in. I feel stagnant and underwhelmed...

I bought a book about making disciples in youth ministry yesterday. When I was in the store I read a half chapter and I thought to myself, "yes, this is what I need to read right now!" When I got back to home base and started digging in, I realized that it was another book like many others that I've read...I need some stretching. I need some practical knowledge too, I've lived in the theoretical for too long.

Fake it till you make it? What happens if you never make it? When is it okay to stop faking and own up to your shortcomings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog.
It reminds me that I'm not alone

I don't have any answers for you. I'm starting to wonder if there are actually answers that we (as people, and not God) would even understand.

k-bomb said...

Alicia! I totally feel the same way! Since I graduated from seminary over a year ago I feel like I'm totally out of the loop. But the basic theology books don't cut it any more. AND I totally hate those books that are basically telling you that they have all the answers. I don't believe in answers, I believe in questions. Have you read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? It's a fantastic story! Or have you read Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott? That is a GREAT book with tons of questions. Or Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner? Also, great book for girls our of our age who are looking for more questions. I've just about given up on those cookie cutter "purpose driven life" books. I need a good dose of reality!
Or movies are great too for a quick fix. One of my FAVORITE movies is Jesus of Montreal. It was made by a Canadian and it's in French. The story is so moving. Or what about Saved! A bit on the lighter side but still very educational.